i'll take coffee with that. and make it black.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Holy Street Food!

One week in Quezon was exactly what I needed to unwind. I'm quite happy that this year I didn't chain myself to bed, glued to the television watching reruns of seventh heaven, or the Ten Commandments for the umpteenth time. With a gigantic backpack in tow, off we journeyed to the wonderful world of deliciously cheap food, fresh air, and cool weather. Three and half hours of road trip didn't seem that long, but the winding road during the last stretch almost made me regurgitate my lunch. The moment we jumped off the jeep, our appetite led us to the nearest available food stand. The quad fronting the local church was lined up with every type of street food you can imagine- including samosas! which I didn't try due to the tindera's lack of cue when I asked her what the filling was. Instead, I had a taco with too much mayonnaise (why is there mayo in taco?) and I was just too hungry to notice at the time. Win had his eyes set on almost-burnt bananas on sticks. 25 pesos tops is all you need to keep that tummy filled. Barbecue and java rice for 15 pesos! I will never go hungry in this place.The next few days, we were on a food binge of pansit lucban, longganisa, chicken siopao (their siopaos look like large empanadas filled with pork, chicken, salted egg, hotdog, and sliced bola bola- for just 15 pesos!), and my all-time fave "bumbay". I had to wait after Easter to get my hands on this soupy concoction since it was made from pork lungs and blood. One week of overeating and a truly sedentary lifestyle really pushed in the guilt. By Saturday we decided to burn some calories with a 7km hike from Lucban to Tayabas. Palaisdaan was our destination- just in time for dinner! It took us almost 2 hours of brisk walking to get to the restaurant. I told myself- I am never doing this again!


Before I forget... our first issue with Good Housekeeping is already out for April, and I'm happy with the printing! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home